[truyện Tiếng Anh] The Next Sin

Thảo luận trong 'Thư giãn, giải trí' bởi novelonline, 23/8/2016.

1. novelonline

novelonline Bắt đầu nổi tiếng

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 60

I can’t be there. Bleu and I are leaving for London. We have the procedure tomorrow. “I can’t make the meeting. I have a flight leaving at eight.”

“You don’t have a choice. You’re a Breckenridge. You will be there.”

Why’d this have to happen now, of all times? “Let me see what I can work out.”

“The only thing you’ll work out is being at our meeting tonight. Nonnegotiable.”

Abram walks out the door without further discussion.

Shite! What am I going to do? We can’t postpone the transfer. Its success depends entirely on perfect timing. Tomorrow is it.

My secretary has already gone for the day so I call out to Linsey. “I need you to change my flight. See what’s available to London early in the morning.”

Ten. That’s the best I can get. That only gives me an hour to get from Heathrow to the clinic. That’ll be a tough one but I’ll have to make it work.

“Book it.”

Now I have to tell Bleu I won’t be leaving with her tonight. I doubt that’ll go over well.

I use the ride home to prepare what I’ll say to her but I’m still clueless when I walk into our flat. “Bonny?”

“Back here.” Her voice carries from our bedroom. I should’ve known that’s where she’d be, doing last-minute packing.

I come into our bedroom. She looks up from the suitcase and grins. “I ask you again, sir. Would you like a suit? Suit? Or a suit?”

“I need to talk to you.”

Her grin fades. “What’s wrong?”

“I can’t leave with you tonight.”

She sits on the bed, my platinum suit falling into a heap on her lap. “Why not?”

“We’ve been raided. The Order has stolen a huge shipment of firearms intended for our allies with the Irish. It’s a new alliance so it’s unstable and reliant upon this transfer. We aren’t in a position to blow it because we have to go through The Guild to get to The Irish Federation. They’re our ultimate objective.”

She’s shaking her head. “I can’t do this by myself, Sin.”

“You won’t be alone. I’m on a flight to London in the morning.”

“But what if you don’t make it? Any number of reasons out of your control could prevent you from being there.”

I can’t send her alone. “I’ll ask my mum to go with you as a backup, just in case something happens.”

“That means we have to tell her what we’re doing.”

“I’m okay with that if you are.”

She’s fighting the tears. I see it in the way she’s blinking and looking up to the ceiling. “But I want you to be with me. It’s not right for me to get pregnant without you.”

I can’t not laugh. “Well, I prefer you didn’t get pregnant without me, either.”

“It’s not funny, Sin. You’re my husband. It’s your job to be with me every step of the way. And you haven’t been.”

She’s right. It isn’t comical at all. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have made a joke about something so important. But I’m going to be there with you. I swear I’ll make it happen.”

Sterling and I drop Bleu and my mum at the airport. Saying goodbye is brutal. She’s completely wrecked. I can’t stand seeing my lass like this.

I’ve allowed The Fellowship to come ahead of Bleu—and our potential children. My choice is hurting my wife. I said I would never do that, yet I am. I’m such a bastard. I don’t think I’ve ever hated myself so much. But I have every intention of making my absence up to her.

I arrive at Duncan’s forty minutes before the meeting. I decide to take advantage of the free time to have a drink and private conversation with Leith. We have things to discuss.

Lorna is working tonight so she’s our server. I don’t have to tell her what I want or when to bring another. She’s good at what she does.

“You took a particularly strong interest in being the one to go after the man who tried to take Lorna.”

“They came into my place and shot it up when I wouldn’t let him take my best barmaids. You’d have an deep interest too,” Leith says.

“You sure there isn’t something more to your insistence on going after him yourself?”

He gives me a confused look. “What are you getting at, Sin?”

I’m going to throw my wife’s hunch out there and see what kind of reaction I get. “Bleu thinks you have feelings for Lorna.”

He laughs. “That’s ridiculous. I used to enjoy fucking Lorna, just like you did.”

Jamie fucked Lorna too but he never mentions him. It’s always my indiscretion with her that he points out.

“I told Bleu you weren’t interested in Lorna.”

“Good. I don’t need your wife putting ideas in Lorna’s head when they have no basis.”

I’m not sure I believe him. “Lorna’s been on her own since her parents were killed. She needs a husband’s protection. I think the incident the other night was proof.”

“I protected her.”

“You did a fine job, but it’s time she was home with a husband instead of here serving drinks half the night.”

“Being married wouldn’t have prevented what The Order did.”

“No, but Lorna’s a good friend. I want to look out for her.”

Đang tải...

Các chủ đề tương tự:

2. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 61

“I look out for her.”

I think Bleu is right. All the signs are there. My suggestion for Lorna to take a husband is pissing him off.

“Bleu wants the best for her friend. She has asked me to help arrange an advantageous marriage on Lorna’s behalf since her parents are no longer living.”

“Lorna’s an adult. Do you really think she needs you to choose a husband for her?”

“Of course, she’ll have the final say about who he is but I don’t think she’ll object to assistance in securing a good match.”

“You’ve been up Bleu’s arse for months. How would you know anything about Lorna or what would make her happy?”

“We spoke at Bleu’s initiation. She was very forthcoming about her discontent,” I say.

“She’s probably disappointed you no longer fuck her in the back room.”

He’s being pure arse now. “That was a long time ago.”

“That’s news to me. I thought you shagged her anytime you felt like it.”

“Not in years.” I see he’s surprised to be wrong.

“What about Jamie?”

“He stopped long before I did.” Jamie never had much interest in Lorna.

Leith doesn’t reply.

“She’s a nice lass. She deserves to be happy.”

“And you think finding her a husband will achieve that?”

“I don’t know, but Bleu seems to think so. I’m a little inclined to think she could be right. They became good friends while working together so she has inside knowledge.”

I think he’s tossing the idea around. Time to throw the hook out for a reaction. “Bleu thought you’d make a good candidate. I had hoped to work on that with you tonight but I can see we were wrong.”

“Yeah. You were.” He brings his whisky up and tosses the entire thing back.

“I suppose I’ll need to look elsewhere. Do you have any suggestions? Have you noticed any of the brothers showing special interest in her?”

“No.”

“You work with her almost every day and you serve every brother on a regular basis. You can’t think of a single one who might be a good match?”

“No.”

“I’ll ask around. She’s very fit. I’m sure there’s plenty of brothers who would love to have her for a wife.”

“Whatever you think is best.” Leith shoves away from the table.

He’s in love with Lorna. I’m sure of it after seeing his reaction. Who could’ve imagined? My wife—that’s who. I should call her matchmaker-dot-com.

I’m finishing my third whisky when my father takes his place to speak to the brothers. “The Order has struck again. They’ve done major damage.” He explains the night’s events. “We have no choice but to retaliate swiftly and take back what is intended for our new Irish allies.”

There’s a QA session back and forth between the brothers and my father with Abram constantly interjecting his thoughts. He honestly cannot stand my father being his superior.

The Order has three main warehouses we know about. It’s decided the brotherhood will divide into thirds and hit each location at the same time. They won’t be expecting us to divide to conquer.

It’s happening at five in the morning. Shit. That’s only three and a half hours before my flight’s departure time. That won’t be easy to manage, even if everything goes perfectly.

I’m fucked.

I try to get a few hours’ sleep so I’m rested for the attack but it’s useless. I’m worried about Bleu and how I’ll make it to the transfer tomorrow.

I call her before I leave to join my men. It’s very early. I know she’s asleep but I want to assure her one last time I have every intention of being there when our babies are placed inside her.

“I trust you, Breck. I know you’ll be here.”

I don’t tell her about the coming raid. She doesn’t need that kind of stress on her mind right before going in for this procedure. But my mum should know—just in case things go awry.

“Can you put Mum on for a minute?”

My mother answers. “Mum. I need you to know what’s happening in case I don’t make it in time. There’s been an attack by The Order. They took all the artilleries for the Irish. As you know, we must get those back. I’ve stayed behind to lead one of three raids in a couple of hours. It’s highly possible I won’t make my flight. If that happens, I need you to be with Bleu through the procedure. Keep her calm. Tell her my flight was delayed—or whatever you feel you must—to keep her from stressing out.”

“Of course, son.”

“The baby has nothing to do with what The Fellowship expects. This is about us and what we want.”

“I never thought otherwise.”

“I want you to know I promised her I wouldn’t take our son from her. I won’t do what Dad did to you.”

“I can’t tell you how proud that makes me. But you should know now that decision is going to cause problems with your father and The Fellowship.”

“I know, and I don’t care. I love her too much to risk having her hate me for it.”

I just hope she doesn’t hate me if I don’t make it in time.

Three raids on three Order warehouses. I’m leading one while my father and Abram are heading the other two. My team and I are assigned the least likely location for hiding our stolen goods. For once, I’m grateful about that—but not because I’m afraid of a fight. I’m more likely to make my flight if I don’t get caught in the middle of a shootout.

3. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 62

I give instructions to each of my men and they take their positions. We’re surrounding The Order’s warehouse. At precisely five o’clock, I give the signal to attack.

We swarm into the metal building through two entrances, opposite one another. We’re surrounded by cold steel gray on all six surfaces. The floor. The four walls. The ceiling. The bright yellow caution markers on the building’s support beams are the only other color represented. Until blood sheds.

The place crawls with Order members so I give the signal to open fire. Return gunfire immediately erupts as my men push forward to invade the warehouse. It’s heavy. This can only mean one thing: our artilleries for the Irish are being hidden here.

Shots rain all around me so I’m forced to back down and take cover behind a wooden cargo box. I crouch with my back pressed against it, searching my surroundings for an alternate route to advance upon my enemy.

The catwalk overhead is the perfect position for my four best sharpshooters. I motion for them to take the advantageous spot.

One of my men is running to join me when he goes down. I move quickly, grabbing beneath his arms and dragging him to safety. He clutches his chest, blood quickly saturating his shirt. “I’m hit.”

“Aye.” I tear his shirt open to assess the damage. I’m no doctor but I’ve seen a lot of gunshot wounds. Too many. I recognize how critical this one is. “It’s just a flesh wound. Jamie can fix you up, no problem.”

“You should know after being shot twice.” He laughs but his laughter is interrupted by a weak cough. Dark red streams from the corner of his mouth. “I’m not going to make it. You don’t have to pretend.”

I don’t know what to say. This man deserves better than to die on our enemy’s cold concrete floor taking cover behind a wooden crate.

“Tell my wife I love her. And if our baby is a boy, she has to name him after me. Tell her I said so.”

Oh God. His wife is expecting.

I shouldn’t because we’re in the middle of a shitstorm, but I feel obliged to reach into his pocket and take out his phone. “You can tell her yourself.”

I hold the phone to his ear and try not to eavesdrop on what should be a private conversation between a dying man and his beloved. It’s impossible, despite the sound of gunfire all around us.

The conversation goes silent on his end. His life is over, only to be carried on with the child his wife will bear.

I run my fingers over his lids, closing them. “I’ll take care of your family.”

I have a decision to make. Use my anger as an excuse to retaliate prematurely or take my time and react rationally with sound mind. The decision is clear.

I move to my stomach and position my rifle. I’m calm. Steady. One by one, from all directions, my men and I take down every member of The Order.

Gunfire stops after we’ve taken out the last one. “Find the firearms!” I shout to my brothers.

My men scour the building. Three are fallen. I go to each and confirm all are dead.

I assign men to collect the bodies. I never leave my brothers behind.

“Over here, Sinclair. You need to take a look at this.” One of the brothers is standing inside the opened doors of a transport truck.

It’s not our artilleries but these members of The Order were here protecting something special. “Open them.”

Using crowbars, two men pry the tops off the wooden boxes. I push the straw away. “Well, well. It looks as though our good friends are looking to build bombs. Quite a few, judging by this.”

I’m not educated about bombs and bomb-making but I’m aware we’re damn lucky all that gunfire didn’t detonate these explosives. We could’ve been blown to smithereens.

There’s no way we’re leaving this kind of weaponry in our enemy’s hands. “Replace the tops. We’re taking the trucks and everything inside.”

I look at my watch. I need to be at the airport in two hours to assure I make my flight. “Let’s move fast but take great care in the handling and transport of these crates.”

My men do as I say but caution requires time. We can’t rush moving explosives that could be unstable.

It’s seven thirty by the time we make it to our new warehouse. We’re the last group to arrive.

“What took so damn long?” Abram grumbles.

“You’ll see.”

The truck is backed into the warehouse and the tops of the crates are lifted. “We hit the jackpot.”

“What is that?” my father asks.

“Bomb components. A lot of them.” My gut tells me this discovery probably just saved a lot of Fellowship members. I’m guessing we would have been the targets.

My father slaps my shoulder. “This is an excellent find, son. Good job.”

I look at my watch. It’s seven forty-five.

“My flight boards in an hour and a half.” I gesture toward my blood-soaked clothes. “I doubt I’ll be allowed on like this.”

“Hurry, son. Go be with your wife.”

Dammit to hell. I cannot believe this shit. I busted my ass to make my flight on time—which I did—and now I’m going to miss being with Bleu during the embryo transfer because of a fucking delay.

My driver is holding a sign bearing my name when I come off the escalator. “There’s five hundred pounds in it for you if you can get me to my destination in twenty minutes.”

The race is on. It’s impossible to make it on time but I’m hoping her admission and paperwork will take a while. I don’t have to be there for that part. All I really need is to arrive before Bleu’s taken back for the procedure.

4. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 63

I’m slung from one side of the car to the other as we make our way from Heathrow to the fertility clinic. I watch the time with a nervous lump in my stomach. It’s hopeless unless we make up time somewhere, which is unlikely in London traffic.

Time ticks away. Traffic is horrid. Eleven o’clock comes and goes. Eleven ten. Eleven twenty. Eleven thirty.

“Can you help me find my wife? Bleu Breckenridge. She has an appointment for an embryo transfer.”

“Mrs. Breckenridge is in room six. Down the hall on the right.”

I knock and Bleu calls out for me to come in.

She’s lying on an exam table, her head slightly elevated, with my mum sitting at her side. “I’ll step out so you can talk.”

I go to Bleu and take her hand. “I’m so sorry I’m late. My flight was delayed.”

“Isobel told me.”

Her eyes are swollen and red, her mascara smeared. “You missed it. You swore you’d be with me but you weren’t.”

I bring her hand to my mouth and kiss it. “I’m so damn sorry. It was a string of unfortunate events keeping me from you. I tried my damnedest to get here. I swear.”

She stares at the ceiling without a reply.

“Please forgive me.”

She closes her eyes and tears roll from the corners of her lids into her hairline.

“Are you in pain?”

“No.”

That’s all the reply I get.

“I’m such an arse. I should’ve moved heaven and earth to be with you. I know I let you down but please try not to be upset.”

I rub my free hand atop her lower abdomen. “It can’t be good for you or what’s happening inside you right now.”

“I’m angry with you but I’m going to put it aside for now.”

“Don’t worry. You’ll get your chance to be pissed off at me—just not right now while our babies are trying to do their thing.”

That brings a smile to her face.

“Dr. Paschall thinks everything went well?” I wouldn’t have to ask if I’d been here.

“Yes.”

“What’s next?”

“They want me to lie still until they come back to release me. I’m to be on modified bed rest for the next twenty-four hours and then take it easy for a couple of days. No travels for a few days. No sex—not that you’d be getting any anyway. I’m too pissed off to even consider it.”

She enjoyed telling me that. I suppose I can’t blame her.

“I’m going to make this up to you.” I don’t know how but I won’t stop until I find a way.

Chapter Seventeen

Bleu Breckenridge

I’ve spent the last two days in our London hotel’s presidential suite. We’ve spent a lot of time here in the recent weeks. It sort of feels like a second home.

My husband has pampered me and seen to my every whim. But he owes me that much after being MIA for the transfer. I’m not over that—and won’t be any time soon—but at least the urge to choke him has passed.

I’m lying on the sofa reading while Sin sits in the chair next to me flipping through a file. He’s reviewing a case going to court in a few days. I should let him work but I don’t want to. I feel like talking.

I place my e-reader on my stomach. “What happened Thursday night?”

He looks over the file at me. “You shouldn’t concern yourself with it. You don’t need the stress.”

“Not knowing stresses me more than knowing. You should probably understand that about me now rather than later.”

He sucks in a breath. “One of our trucks was raided by The Order. They took a large supply of firearms intended for a new alliance in Ireland—one that’s instrumental in a bigger goal in Dublin. It was imperative to get the arms back. We didn’t need that kind of ammunition to be in the hands of The Order but we also needed the supply to maintain our relationship with an organization called The Guild.”

I can’t recall anything about The Guild but I suppose I wouldn’t if they’re a new alliance.

“Did it go well?”

“We got the arms back and discovered a huge supply of bomb-making materials in the process. I believe they were going to target us with explosives.”

“Was anyone hurt?”

“I lost three good men. One of them died in my arms while speaking to his pregnant wife on the phone.”

“Oh God. That must’ve been brutal.”

He doesn’t reply.

My husband isn’t an emotional man. He can’t afford to be but I’m guessing even that might have touched him. Babies have a way of doing that to people.

“You’ll see that this man’s wife and child are taken care of?”

“Of course. He died under my command so I’ll see to them personally.”

He returns to studying his file. I don’t think he wants to discuss what happened, but I do. I have things to say. “I forgive you for not being here.”

He lowers the folder again. “You’ll never know how sick I am that I missed it.”

He’s going to miss more than this one procedure before it’s over. Of that, I’m certain. “Always do your best. That’s all I ask of you.”

“You and our family will always be my number-one priority but please try to understand that protecting The Fellowship means keeping you and our children safe as well.”

I’m not fragile. I can handle the truth. “It’s easier to be understanding when you know what’s going on.”

5. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 64

“I would’ve told you if the circumstances weren’t what they were. I needed you calm. That wouldn’t have been the case had you known what I was in the middle of.”

The Order was once no concern of mine but all is different now. Everything they do impacts The Fellowship, thereby affecting my husband. That trickles down to me. I’m not okay with that. “The Order is a pest that must be squashed quickly.”

My husband grins. “Agreed. I’m open to ideas.”

“Debra could be very beneficial in dealing with The Order. She’s a genius when it comes to organized crime. She had eyes on The Fellowship for years and you were none the wiser. Most importantly, she’s a family friend. She can be trusted.”

“Call her. Have her put on payroll immediately.”

I thought he’d be interested. “She won’t be cheap but she’s worth every penny.”

“Don’t give a damn. Her fee couldn’t possibly exceed the expenses The Order costs us.”

“I’ll let her know.”

“We’ll schedule a leadership meeting for early next week. She can join us. I hope she’ll have some fresh ideas.”

I have no doubt she will.

“Debra understands the criminal mind in ways I’ve never seen. I can’t begin to comprehend the complexity of what she knows and understands. She’s a total mind-fuck.”

“I can’t believe we’ve never heard of her.”

“She’s a phantom.” I’d kill to be more like her.

“I would’ve loved nothing more than to go undercover within The Order.” It would have been incredibly satisfying to have done something like that for the brotherhood I now consider “my people.”

“I understand and respect your need to bring something productive to the table. It’s one of the things I love so dearly about you but you’ll have to find it in something that isn’t dangerous.”

“I can’t help it. I thrive in dangerous situations,” I say.

“Changing diapers can be dangerous stuff. Especially if we have a boy. I’ve heard those little buggers can open fire on you without any warning.”

I’m used to action. I fear I won’t find motherhood fulfilling. And I’m terrified to share that with Sin. “I have a lot to learn.”

He moves to the sofa and pulls my feet onto his lap to rub them. “Being a mother to our children will be the most important mission you’ll ever have. Never doubt that.”

The two-week wait has been hell but it ends today. I’m at my local OB/GYN having my beta HCG test. It’s the first in a series of blood tests to confirm whether I have conceived. If so, it will also confirm if the pregnancy is growing at a healthy pace.

They’ve drawn my blood and told me to expect the results in thirty minutes. More hell. It’s the worst kind because I know the answer is imminent.

My name is called. My legs are weak when I stand to walk so I loop my arm through Sin’s. He probably thinks I’m being affectionate but the truth is my knees could buckle at any time.

We’re taken to an exam room and left to wait. Again. Torturous.

“God, I hope I don’t have to get naked for this. I feel like I’ve shown my stuff to half the world.”

“You could show it to me if you like. I haven’t seen it in a really long time.”

My mind isn’t clear enough to come up with a clever response.

“Bonny. Are you okay?”

My heart is beating so hard I can feel it pulsating in my face. I hear it like a drum in my ears. I’m quite warm. Perhaps I should take off my sweater. “I’m nervous. That’s all.”

He looks so composed. It pisses me off he’s cool as a cucumber while I’m a total mess. “There’s no need to be.”

“How can you be so calm?”

“Because I’ve made up my mind that we’ll be fine no matter the result. You and I are always going to be okay. We don’t need a baby for that.” His mouth spreads into that lopsided grin I adore and it steadies my heart.

“God, I love you.”

He doesn’t get to reply because the door opens and a woman comes into the room. “Mrs. Bleu Breckenridge?”

“Yes.”

She passes a folder to me. It looks like a list of dos and don’ts during early pregnancy. “Your HCG came back at one hundred and ten. Anything above one hundred is considered a good start.”

I understand the lab value. I know what it means but I need to hear the words in English. “I’m pregnant?”

“Aye. Congratulations.”

Sin leans over and puts his arm around me. He kisses the top of my head without saying a word.

The nurse smiles as she pecks away on a computer. “Have you been trying for a long time?”

“No. This was our first attempt.”

“Way to go.” She continues typing. “We’ll need to see you back in three days to repeat the HCG and confirm it’s climbing. They’ll make your next appointment when you check out.”

We’re barely out of the clinic when Sin puts his arms around me. “I told myself it was fine if it didn’t happen but that was because I didn’t know I would be this happy if it did.” He lifts me and spins around. “You are so precious to me and now the life you carry is too.”

He returns my feet to the ground and kisses me hard, not caring who sees. “I love you.”

6. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 65

“I love you too.”

Sterling pulls into the circle drive in front of the clinic. We get in. “Put your seat belt on.”

I do but I would’ve worn it anyway. “Unlike you, I always wear my seat belt.”

I can see where this is headed. He’s going to become ultra protective. Oddly, I don’t mind. I know it’s because he loves us.

Us. I can’t contain the outward sign of the happiness that brings me.

“What are you smiling about?”

I shrug. “I have a lot to be happy about.”

“Aye, we do.”

I place my head against Sin’s shoulder as Sterling drives us home. The previous weeks have been mentally draining. I haven’t physically felt like my normal self. I guess I know why now.

It’s raining. The cloud cover has robbed the day of what little sunlight it would’ve gotten. The dark skies make it too easy to doze off somewhere between the clinic and home.

I’m wakened by Sin’s nudge and kiss to my cheek. “We’re home.”

“Sorry I fell asleep.”

“Don’t be. Your body is experiencing a lot of changes. It needs more rest than ever.”

“How would you know?”

“Looking for a fertility clinic isn’t the only research I’ve done.”

If he’s been researching pregnancy, then he’s already ahead of me. “Perhaps I should check the history on your computer so I can catch up.”

“You should do some reading on it. It’s fascinating stuff.”

We’re barely in the door when he announces he has a present for me. “My birthday is months away.”

He takes my hand. “No, not for your birthday.”

He leads me to our bedroom and tells me to sit on our bed. “Close your eyes.” He places something on my lap. “Okay. You can open them.”

A gift-wrapped box is on my lap and a file sits next to me on the bed. “Open the wrapped one first.”

I tear the pretty paper and lift the top from the box. “A baby book?”

“Yes, but it’s also a journal. One section teaches you about the growth and development of the baby for each week. The other is blank for you to record what’s happening with you.”

“I’ve never been one to journal.” My thoughts were always too dark to write down, but I like the idea of being inspired by this innocent life inside me.

“I thought we might read the growth section together each week so we both know what’s going on with the baby’s development.”

“I’d like that very much.”

I open the front cover and see he’s already inscribed it to me.

Bleu—my bonny wife,

If you’re reading this, then we were successful. I love and adore you with all my heart. You’ll be a superb mum.

Love always, S

“I mean every word.”

For the life of me, I can’t figure out how a Fellowship-raised man can come up with such pretty words. They’re to be cherished. He says it’s all inspired by me but I can’t see it. I don’t feel like much of a muse.

He leans down to kiss me.

“I love it. Thank you.”

“As I said before, the flat isn’t where I want to raise the baby. I’d like to have a house before he or she arrives.” He takes the file and flips it open. “This is a listing of all the houses on the market that fit the needs for our growing family. Pick your favorite and I’ll buy it. If it’s not in this folder, tell me what you want and I’ll have it built for you.”

I reach up to hold his face. “You are an amazing man. So loving. So giving. You’re going to be a wonderful father.”

Sin’s mouth seizes mine with a new kind of passion. And possession.

His hand laces through my hair, holding me close so I can’t escape. Not that I want to. I’ve missed this kind of closeness with my husband.

“You haven’t touched me in weeks. It’s been torment,” I say.

“Not because I haven’t wanted to. It’s all I’ve been able to think about every other second.” He kisses the side of my neck.

“I know.” The doctor said no sex. He warned that uterine contractions could inhibit the implantation process.

“And I still can’t have you for another week,” he growls. “My palm is going to have calluses.”

He’s treated me so well the last two weeks, seeing to my every whim. I should do something to express my appreciation. “If I was a good wife, I’d find a way to help you with that little problem.”

I move my hand to his belt to unfasten it. He puts his hand over mine. “We still can’t.”

“I know we can’t.” I touch my mouth. “But this can.”

He moves his hand from mine and I feel him growing hard inside his trousers as I work to free him.

I push his pants to his knees before I get up. “Trade places with me.”

We rotate so he’s sitting on the edge of the bed and I’m standing over him. “Relax and enjoy. You don’t have to do a thing.”

“Wait. Will you put your hair up for me?”

He’s never asked me to do that before but I know why. “You want to watch me.”

“Aye. I can’t help myself. I love seeing you do it. It’s one of the best parts.”

I come out of the bathroom with my hair in a messy bun. “Approve?”

7. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 66

“One hundred percent.”

I go back to him and place my palms on his knees, moving them upward until they reach his groin. I kiss his stomach, slowly moving my mouth in a southern direction. He jolts when I lick the pattern of his V.

“Ticklish?”

“You know I am.”

I grasp the base of his cock and lick the tip of the head. I taste pre-cum. I like it.

I move my tongue to the base and drag it up the underside of his shaft. He twitches when I get to the sensitive area just beneath the head. When I reach the end again, I take him into my mouth and grasp his base with my fist. I move my mouth and hand in unison.

“That feels incredible.”

I alternate between slow and fast. I occasionally stop and circle my tongue around the head. It isn’t long before he pulls the bun on top of my head. My jaws didn’t even have time to cramp. “Stop, Bonny.”

I take my mouth off him. He pulls his shirt up so his stomach is bare. That’s where he comes—on himself instead of in my mouth. One day I’m going to ask him why he believes that’s the better alternative.

I go into the bathroom for a towel and wipe him clean before climbing onto the bed next to him.

We’re lying face to face. He pulls me close for a kiss. “Thank you.”

“Any time.”

Sin’s wearing a lopsided grin when he runs his finger over my bottom lip. “I love you,” he whispers.

I kiss the pad of his thumb. “I love you too.”

“I’m very happy about the baby. Or babies.”

He’s right. There’s a chance we have more than one in there. “The possibility of two hasn’t escaped me.”

“I wouldn’t mind twins. Would you?”

I’m barely used to the idea of one. “The thought of caring for two babies at once is a little overwhelming.”

“You aren’t going to be doing this alone. You have me. And I know my mum is anxious to help. Lorna and Westlyn have become your good friends. I’m guessing they wouldn’t mind helping.”

It’s not reassuring when you subtract Isobel from the equation, combine the experience of the remaining three, and get a sum total of zilch. “Isobel is the only one with experience.”

“We can hire a nanny if you’d like.”

What if she mistreated my children? That kind of stuff happens every day. I’d have to kill her.

“I don’t know if I want to do that.”

The person I really want helping me will be missing. “I wish my sister could be in our lives. She’ll never have the opportunity to know this baby. Or babies. She’ll only see us a few days here and there. She’ll be like a stranger to our kids.”

He touches my lower stomach. “I will make sure you and whomever is in there will see Ellison as often as possible.”

“That means the world to me.”

“I’m excited to tell my parents. Can we do that tonight over dinner?”

I don’t think you’re supposed to tell people for several weeks. “Shouldn’t we wait? Just in case?”

“We can wait on telling everyone else. I want them to know now, but only if it’s all right with you.”

I suppose it makes no difference. “Whatever you want is fine with me.”

“They’re going to be very happy.”

“Ellison will be too.”

Speaking of … I need to call my sister. She’ll kill me if she’s not the first to know.

“I told her we were finding out today so I need to call her.”

“Of course.” He kisses me quickly and stands to do up his trousers. “I have to go back to the office. I had a few things I didn’t finish. I’ll probably be a couple of hours.”

I knew we wouldn’t get to steal the rest of the day away from The Fellowship. There’s always going to be business that needs tending.

I suppose I should be happy he was able to get away long enough to go to the appointment with me. “Okay.”

“Can I tell Mum and Dad to meet us at seven?”

“That’s fine.”

I note the time. Ellison has left work by now so it should be the perfect time to call.

“Did the rabbit die?” That’s the greeting I get. So typical.

“No animals were harmed during my pregnancy test.”

“Spill it.”

“It worked. I’m pregnant.”

“Bam! Fuck all those doctors who said it wouldn’t happen.”

“I still can’t believe we were successful on the first try.”

“That’s because your husband made sure you had the best doctor. Oh my God, Bleu. A baby!”

“Or babies.”

“How many little shit machines are we talking?”

She’s calling my offspring shit machines. “How classy.”

“Come on, Bleu. Are we talking a litter or what?”

“No more than two.”

“I hope you have two mean-ass boys. What did Sinclair say?”

“He’s ecstatic.”

“I bet. Have you had an ultrasound?”

“It’s too early for that. They wouldn’t be able to see anything right now. The doctor said I would get a scan at six weeks to make sure there was a heartbeat.”

“God, Bleu. I’m your sister. I should be there.”

If this were happening back home, she’d be up my ass so far I’d never dig her out. And that’s exactly where I’d want her. “I wish you could be.”

8. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 67

“This sucks! I’m going to miss all of it.”

I won’t let that happen. “Don’t worry. Sin has promised he’ll let us come see you as often as I want.”

“It’s not the same. I’m going to miss seeing your mean-ass boys grow up.”

“You won’t. Sin promised.”

“I’m coming.”

Umm … that’s not happening. “You can’t take off work to come here.”

“I will not miss you bringing babies into this world. Not happening.”

Oh boy. This should be fun when the time comes. “We have a long time to figure everything out.”

How in the world will I ever keep her away when it’s time for this baby to come? I know Ellison MacAllister. She doesn’t take no for an answer. That’s going to be a problem.

Chapter Eighteen

Sinclair Breckenridge

My parents haven’t mentioned a word but I’m certain they suspect the reason we’ve asked them and Mitch to dinner. Dad’s his usual collected self but Mum looks like she’s on pins and needles. We should probably put her out of her misery before she has a heart attack.

I love this restaurant. I brought Bleu here for our first date. That was nine months ago. Seems a lifetime between then and now.

I reach for Bleu’s hand beneath the table and give it a squeeze. She raises her shoulders and gives me the eyes. I’ve come to know my wife’s expressions and body language well. This is her asking me if I’m ready to tell them.

“Ready if you are.”

My mum sits more upright. “Ye have our undivided attention.”

“Have a look at this, Torri. It seems the other Breckenridges thought it was a good idea to come out for dinner as well. I suppose great minds do think alike.”

Dammit. I’m not sure how Abram knew we were having dinner here tonight. I suppose my Dad could’ve told him but I’m certain he’s here with a plan in mind. Nothing he does is by accident.

He snaps his fingers to summon the host. “We’ll be seated with this party.”

Bleu and I look at one another as Abram, Torri, Jamie, Westlyn, and Evanna are seated. I see the anger and disappointment in Bleu’s eyes. “He’s ruining this special time for us.”

I strongly suspect he knows he’s ruining something, although he can’t possibly know what. “Do you want to tell them or wait?” I whisper.

“I’m afraid your mother will keel over if we don’t tell her now. It’s going to eventually come out.”

Bleu’s right. We can’t let Abram ruin this for my parents or for us. It’s even possible he’ll see Bleu in a different light after he learns she’s possibly carrying a Fellowship leader.

“So. What brings everyone out tonight?”

I squeeze Bleu’s hand again. “We asked Mum, Dad, and Mitch out because we have some exciting news to share. Bleu’s pregnant.”

A chorus of oohs and ahhs erupt from the women around the table. The group swarms Bleu. My mum is tearful as she cups her hands over her mouth. She gets up from her seat and comes to me. She kisses the side of my face and whispers in my ear as she embraces me. “I knew it would work. I never doubted it for a moment.”

Jamie gives me a congratulatory slap on the back. “Breeding ’em quick, aren’t you? I suppose The Fellowship will be pleased about that.”

“Our decision to have a baby has nothing to do with the brotherhood.”

“I’m not judging. I’m happy for you and Bleu if it’s what you want.”

Jamie’s a good mate. Nothing like his father. If he says he’s happy for us, then he is. “Trust me. You find the right woman and it’ll be what you want too.”

“I don’t know about that. I’m pretty determined to be an eternal bachelor.”

“That’s because you haven’t found your Mrs. Breckenridge yet.”

Abram doesn’t appear happy but I guess he wouldn’t be. He wants Bleu gone. Her being pregnant with the next generation of Fellowship leaders only solidifies her place within our family.

“How can we be certain the baby is Sinclair’s?” Everyone around the table goes quiet and looks in Abram’s direction.

This is fucking unacceptable. “Are you suggesting my wife has been unfaithful?”

“No. I’m suggesting the clinic you used for your in vitro procedure might have made a mistake. It’s been known to happen before. If that’s the case, your wife isn’t carrying the next Fellowship leader.”

He shouldn’t know we used a fertility clinic. But he does so I can’t dispute the fact that we didn’t conceive naturally. “We used the best clinic available. There was no mistake.”

“But how can you be sure? There’s always room for human error in medicine,” he argues.

He’s being absurd. “Is there not the same risk with every wife of a Fellowship member? Couldn’t she be unfaithful and conceive a child with a non-Fellowship member? Do you paternity test every child born within the brotherhood?”

“Not every child born within The Fellowship is intended to be a leader as your child will be.”

“This is ridiculous!” Bleu tosses her napkin onto the table. “I’m not going to sit here and listen to his bullshit. Please take me home, Sin.”

I don’t try to convince Bleu to stay. I already know my words will be wasted. Frankly, I want to be away from Abram as much as she does. I’m afraid I might do something I’ll regret if I have to listen to him say anything else about the paternity of our child.

9. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 68

Without another word, we leave the celebratory dinner we organized.

I phone Sterling and he pulls to the curb to fetch us. We get in, neither of us saying a word on the short drive home.

We enter the front door and I pull Bleu into my arms. “I’m sorry.”

“He ruined what should have been a happy occasion with your family. Instead, he turned it into something ugly. I hate him.”

Right now, I hate him too.

Her hurt is my pain. I feel it in the center of my chest as tangible as someone squeezing my heart without mercy.

“I know adoptees can’t become leaders but is there some kind of stupid rule stating babies conceived with medical assistance can’t be head of The Fellowship?”

“Of course not.”

“Then why did he ensure everyone knows we didn’t conceive this baby on our own? Was he doing it to be cruel?”

It was a stab at Bleu. “Yes.”

“He’s a psychopath, Sin.”

I don’t think she’s joking. “That’s a strong accusation.”

“I’ve studied them. They can’t form emotional attachments or feel real empathy for anyone. That’s why he can say the things he does without regard for the way his words affect people. They often have very charming personalities, are very manipulative, and easily gain trust. They pretend to have emotions, yet they don’t feel them. Some are so good at manipulation that their families never suspect their true nature. I know what I’m talking about and he fits the profile perfectly.”

“I can’t argue with you.”

“A person exhibiting those characteristics has no place leading The Fellowship.”

I’m confused. She has said on numerous occasions that she wants us to have time together before I take my place. “You know what you’re suggesting?”

“Yes. As much as I’d like to postpone, it may be something you need to consider for the good of the brotherhood. To lead is to serve. He’s no servant. He hurts people. I’m not the only one.”

“What has he done?”

“He instructed Linsey to fuck you until you forgot me.”

It all fits now. Linsey never showed any interest in me. It’s one of the reasons I accepted her request to be my paralegal. I needed an assistant who was interested in working and doing a good job.

“He’s family. You want to see the best in him but he’s evil. Allowing him to be in control of the people who place their trust in him is irresponsible.”

My wife is right. Our people deserve better. Even loyalists like The Fellowship can be pushed too far. We can’t afford a rebellion. But am I ready to knock Abram out as a top runner?

“You can’t wear blinders and refuse to acknowledge his true nature forever. Or what he’s capable of.”

We’re back to her believing Abram could be her mother’s killer.

“I need proof, Bonny.”

“I understand. I’m working on it.”

“If it’s proven that he’s the murderer, my father will kill him without hesitation.” I have no doubt about that.

“No! I have to be the one to do it.”

I wouldn’t let her go through with it even if I hadn’t made a promise to Harry on his deathbed. “You’re pregnant. No way I’m letting you do that.”

“I won’t be pregnant forever.”

Is she even thinking ahead? “What’s the end result when you’re no longer pregnant? You’ll be a mother, and not to just any child. My child! There’s no way I’ll allow you to put yourself in a dangerous situation like that.”

She’s shaking her head in disagreement. “You’re my husband but that doesn’t mean you get to dictate what I do.”

“You’re wrong if you think I don’t get a vote.”

I can predict with one hundred percent accuracy that what I’m about to say will cause problems between us. “As your husband, I won’t command you to do anything, but as your Fellowship leader, I will.”

“Oh. I see now. You’re my leader before you’re my husband.”

“Never. I’m always your husband first. That means I protect you above anything else and I’m telling you that you won’t do this no matter what you prove.”

“I’d like to see you try to stop me.”

She doesn’t understand the repercussions for killing a brother. I think it’s time she had a lesson. “Bonny. If you kill Abram and you’re caught, they will kill you. And I can’t stop them. Is there any part of that you don’t understand?”

“I won’t be caught.”

“Bleu! Don’t ignore what I’m telling you.” I don’t enjoy raising my voice at my wife. I enjoy the expression on her face as she looks at me even less. It’s a melting pot of hurt and anger.

“Or what? I’ll have to pay penance? You’ll send me to Sangster and have me beaten within an inch of my life?”

I grab Bleu firmly by her upper arms. “Listen to me. We’re having a baby. You’re going to be a mother. There’s no room for stupidity where our child is concerned. I will not let you jeopardize our family over your obsession.”

I release her arms and head for the door. She’s being irrational and unreasonable. I’m furious so I shouldn’t be around her right now. Fighting fair—it’s not something I’ve ever learned to do so I fear what I might say or do. I don’t want to create regrets.

10. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 69

“Where are you going?”

“Out.”

I stop in the doorway and turn back to look at Bleu. “Keeping you and our child safe is number one. Always. Maybe you should think about what your priorities are while I’m gone.”

I’m angry with Bleu but I’m furious with Abram. His actions are feeding her addiction for revenge, taunting her at every opportunity. It has to stop. Now.

I storm into my parents’ house and call out for my father.

“In here, son.”

I find my parents in the living room—together, watching television. I’m surprised they’re in the same room by choice. “What’s going on?”

“We were discussing Abram’s actions at dinner. It was unacceptable and I told him so,” my dad says.

“How is Bleu?” my mum asks.

“Not great.”

I sit next to my mother, facing my father. “Tonight wasn’t the first time Abram has acted out at Bleu. He’s taunted her on other occasions.”

“He’s a bully,” my mum says.

“He may be but he’s not going to upset the mother of my child like that. I can’t be expected to accept that kind of behavior directed at my wife by any Fellowship member, even if he is your brother.”

“I don’t expect you to tolerate Bleu being mistreated, even if he is my brother. Now is the time to put a stop to it. With Abram, what you allow him to do is what will continue. I learned that lesson the hard way.”

Bleu is determined. She isn’t going to drop her suspicion about Abram. It’s probably best to let Dad know now rather than later. “There’s more to further complicate the situation between Bleu and Abram. She believes there’s a possibility he killed her mother.”

My dad looks shocked. “What in the world would make her believe that?”

“Something Abram said at our reception sparked a memory from that night. That spark has turned into a fire and Abram stokes it each time he attacks Bleu.”

“She has no evidence to support her suspicion?” Dad asks.

“Not yet.”

“I don’t think ye should dismiss her suspicion so quickly. Bleu has studied the criminal mind extensively. How they think. How they react. She’s very educated about the tactics they use tae manipulate their closest ties,” Mum says.

There’s one way to prove he didn’t do it. “Does Abram have a scar from a dog bite on his leg?”

Dad shrugs. “Not that I’m aware. But I’m not sure I’ve seen his bare leg in the last twenty years. No reason to.”

No. I suppose the opportunity hasn’t presented itself.

“Was Abram in the US when Bleu and her mother were attacked?”

“Aye.”

“You know him better than anyone. Do you think he’s capable?”

Dad shakes his head. “He wouldn’t have touched Amanda.”

“I told her she couldn’t name Abram a suspect.”

“Ye must look at this from Bleu’s point of view. In her mind, that could be construed as you choosing him over her,” Mum says.

She’s right. I need to make Bleu understand I’ll always choose her before him.

“We had an enormous argument because I told her she couldn’t be the one to carry out penance against her mother’s killer.”

I rub my temples where my brain is threatening to explode. “Bleu is unaware but I made a promise to her father before he died. He made me swear I would take the burden of killing from her. He didn’t want her to carry that kind of darkness for the rest of her life.”

And I readily agreed because I can’t bear the thought of her being tormented by something she’s done.

“Bleu isn’t like me. She’s good. I’m afraid the guilt would eventually destroy her.”

“I think her father knew what he was talking about. Bleu has no business killing anyone,” Dad says.

“Even more so now that she’s expecting. Motherhood brings changes you don’t expect, even for women within the circle.”

If Abram did this, his actions are affecting my life and marriage. I need to know the truth so we can put this behind us.

“Bleu enlisted Debra’s help because being with the women of The Fellowship consumes so much of her time. I’m hoping that will expedite this situation coming to a head.”

I’m not sure how my father would react to finding out his brother killed the woman he loved. “If he did this, are you prepared for him to die?”

“After the first betrayal, there is no other.” That’s a yes.

It could take awhile to get the answers we want. In the meantime, Abram has to leave Bleu alone. “I can’t let him continue lashing out at Bleu.”

“Agreed. That has tae come tae an end immediately,” my mum says.

“So I have your blessing to handle him the way I see fit?”

“Certainly, but I’d like myself and the other council members to be present so there’s no mistakes. I’ll call a formal meeting for the morning so everyone is on the same page.”

“I was going to suggest that due to how I plan to handle him.”

“You have my attention,” Dad says.

Bleu believes it’s time I replace Abram for the good of The Fellowship. It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while. I was afraid she wasn’t ready but I have her support. Nothing is holding me back. I’m ready to take my rightful place. “It’s time Abram steps down.”

11. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 70

My father’s smile is proof enough that he’s pleased. “You feel prepared to take your place?”

“It’s time. I’m finished with my traineeship. I have a wife and a baby on the way. There’s no reason to put it off any longer.”

“You have no idea how proud I am, son. I’ve waited years to hear these words from you. I’ve imagined how proud I might feel but the reality is so much better. We’ll make it official first thing in the morning.”

Bleu is in bed when I arrive home. Her breath is slow and steady. She’s asleep—or pretending to be so she doesn’t have to talk to me.

I undress and slide in next to her. She startles awake when I move behind her to drape my arm over her waist.

She places her hand on top of mine. At first I think she’s going to lace our fingers but instead she shoves it away. “You can go to the couch.”

“Bonny. Don’t be that way.”

No reply.

I move my hand back into place over her stomach and hold her hand tightly as she attempts to pull it away again. “I had to leave. I only know one way to fight—win by whatever means necessary. I don’t fight a fair game.”

She stops trying to pull away from me. That’s promising.

“We’re still new. I haven’t figured out how to argue with you. I only know I must be careful. Leaving felt like the only thing I could do so I’d be certain to have no regrets.”

I feel her twist toward me in the dark. “I would never put this baby in danger, especially by acting against Abram while I’m pregnant. It hurts me that you think I would.”

She fails to see my concern for her after the baby is born. “Putting yourself in danger after you deliver still endangers the baby.”

“I disagree.”

“What if you went after Abram and he killed you? Our child would be motherless. It would be a tragedy for him to never know his mother. So see? You’re potentially harming our baby by endangering yourself.”

She doesn’t respond. I don’t mistake it for an agreement but at least it’s not an argument.

“Abram’s out. I’m officially taking my place within The Fellowship in the morning.”

She twists the rest of the way so we’re face to face. “The brotherhood will be very pleased. They respect you.”

“You’re right. I have to consider what’s best for our people. And he’s not it.”

After hearing what he instructed Linsey to do, I’m certain he only has his own well-being in mind. She’s a good woman. I don’t think she would have done what he told her unless she felt threatened.

Abram isn’t the only one I’ve considered while thinking about taking my place. “I think it’s better to make the change early on in our marriage rather than try to transition into it later after the baby comes.”

“You’re going to hand Abram his ass, aren’t you?”

Ah, my wife knows me well.

“Aye. I wanted to at dinner tonight but I decided it wasn’t wise to act out while I was so angry. It’s better to counterattack after thought and contemplation.” Retaliation isn’t the only thing best served cold.

My wife need not worry. Abram will get what’s coming to him in the morning. And I don’t expect it to go over well.

Everyone has taken a place around the table for the emergent leadership meeting. They’re probably expecting to hear news of retaliation by The Order. Wrong. It’s a counterattack but has nothing to do with our nemesis.

My father stands and the room silences. When he speaks, people listen. “My son has come to a decision that pleases me greatly. He has decided he’s ready to take his place. Abram, you will be relieved of your duties—effective immediately.”

I sit back in my chair as shock forms on Abram’s face.

He leans forward, taking on the concerned uncle expression I know so well. “Sin. You have a new wife. Your first child is on the way. I fail to see why this is the right time for you to do this.”

He chooses now to acknowledge that my wife is expecting my first child. He’s singing an entirely different song from last night.

“It’ll be easier to make the change now, rather than try to transition after the baby is born. But that’s not the only reason. You’ve given me no choice. I can’t tolerate you badgering my pregnant wife.”

“I have not badgered your wife.”

Fucking liar. “A brother must never violate the wife or children of another member. I’m doing you a favor by giving you this warning. Do it again and be prepared to face penance.”

Abram’s face is blood red. He’s furious. “Thane, you’re going to let him talk to me like this?”

“The things you said to Bleu and Sinclair last night were inexcusable.”

“Anything I said was out of concern for The Fellowship.”

“Your goal was to upset my wife. You succeeded. That disturbs me greatly.”

“All of this is her doing. You can’t see she’s here to sabotage us.”

“Have you considered that there are better ways for her to sabotage The Fellowship than to marry one of us and become pregnant with the future leader?”

He doesn’t reply.

“We made this agreement when I was twenty-one. You agreed to be an interim until I was ready. It’s the role and duty I was born into. You knew this day was coming. Stepping into my role has nothing to do with Bleu.”

12. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 71

“Your marriage to her is a sham. The Fellowship gained nothing from your union. Westlyn should be your wife. Your coupling would’ve strengthened The Fellowship, not divide it.”

“My marriage to Bleu was never intended for gain but don’t mistake it for a weak union. My wife is a force. Her strength is incredible and contagious. I’ll be a stronger leader with her by my side. The younger women within the brotherhood are lucky they’ll have her guiding them.”

“Make no mistake, Sin. You may have initiated her into the brotherhood and then married your bonny American but she’ll never be Fellowship.”

Abram gets up from the table and points his finger in my direction. “And she’ll never lead either of my daughters. I’ll see to that.”

Chapter Nineteen

Bleu Breckenridge

It’s been three weeks since Sin became secondary leader of The Fellowship. I knew it was coming when I agreed to marry him. I had hoped it would happen later in our marriage. I wanted time with my husband before he was taken from me but it wasn’t possible. Abram has given him no choice.

It hasn’t been awful but he’s still new to his role. He comes home late every night, although he did that anyway. He’s managed to get away long enough to be with me for my first ultrasound today. I suppose I can’t complain too much.

“You’re going to feel some pressure.” I’m lying on my back with my legs slightly parted when the ultrasound tech inserts the condom-clad probe inside me. I look at Sin and scrunch my nose.

He reaches for my hand. “Are you all right?”

“I’ll make it.” It’s not the first time I’ve had this done. I’ll never get used to it but I can tolerate it a lot better knowing the ultimate goal: to ensure there’s a heartbeat and a growing baby. Or babies.

“I’ll take measurements of yer uterus first. I know yer anxious but we’ll get tae the fun stuff in just a minute.” Her accent is thick; I have to listen carefully. Sometimes it takes a little deciphering to figure it out.

She said fun stuff. That much I understood. I think that sounds reassuring. Maybe. I wouldn’t expect her to use the word fun if she wasn’t seeing a live baby. Unless she hasn’t taken notice yet. She’s a professional. She’d look before saying anything like that, right?

I’m nervous so I’m rambling to myself. Shut up, Bleu. You’re making it worse.

Sin is still holding my hand. He gives it three rhythmic squeezes so I turn away from the monitor to look at him. He winks and mouths, “I love you.”

I make smoochy lips at him and mouth the same in return.

It takes forever to do the technical stuff—twice as long as I would expect.

“Okay. Got the measurements out of the way so here we go.”

The tech angles the probe upward and presses. My bladder feels like it’s inflated with a gallon of water so I could pee myself at any moment. “Hmm,” I groan. “That’s not pleasant.”

“Okay?” Sin asks.

“Yeah.” I’ll only have to bear it for a few minutes. The discomfort is worth what I’m about to see.

She points to the screen. “Right there. Do ye know what this little circle is that we’re looking at?”

“We’re hopeful it’s a baby.”

“Aye. And how many babies do ye see? One.” She moves her finger slightly to the left. “Two.”

“Well, fuck me. Twins.” Sin grins and then looks at the tech. “Pardon me.”

She giggles. “No problem. I’ve heard worse.”

He leans forward for a better view. “I was afraid to hope for two. It seemed greedy when I knew we’d be damn lucky to get one.”

It doesn’t feel real. “Are you sure?”

“Very.”

I immediately go into worry mode. I suppose it’s natural. “Both babies look healthy?”

“Both heartbeats are strong and each is measuring right on schedule. They look perfect as far as I can tell.”

Sin leans forward to kiss me. “Did you hear that, Bonny? She says they look perfect.”

Twins. Two babies. I knew there was a high probability but I’m still surprised.

My head is spinning. I may even be a little short of breath. I pray it’s not because I’m about to have a panic attack.

What am I going to do with two babies? I wasn’t really even sure I was ready to mother one.

“All done, Mrs. Breckenridge. Ye can change back into yer bottoms.”

I get up from the exam table and go into the bathroom with Sin following behind me. I’m holding a sheet around my waist when he lifts me and kisses my mouth like crazy. When he finishes, he returns my feet to the floor. “Bonny. This is the best and most frightening news I’ve ever gotten in my life. I’m terrified and overjoyed at the same time.”

It’s a ginormous relief to know I’m not alone. “I’m scared too, but very happy.”

“There’s nothing wrong with being afraid.” He puts his arms around me and squeezes. “We can be scared together.”

“Mary predicted this, you know.”

“Who’s Mary? And what did she predict?” I hear the confusion in his voice.

“How can you forget Mary the medium? She did a reading on us. Said you would be married with children soon.” I touch my abdomen. “She was right. You’ll be getting children soon. I’d say she hit the nail on the head.”

13. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 72

“Aye, I suppose she did. I recall her saying I would find joy with my family. She was right about that as well.”

Sin opens the door to our flat and enters first. He enters the series of numbers to turn off the security system.

He stops in the living room and stands with his hands on his hips looking around. “There’s a lot to be done before they get here.”

He sounds as though he thinks they’re coming tomorrow. “I’m six weeks pregnant. We have time.”

“We need to be more aggressive in the search for a house. Two babies will require twice as much space.” He looks at the door leading out to the patio. “I want them to have a fenced outdoor area so they can safely play outside.”

He’s putting the cart before the horse. “They won’t come out needing a yard to play in.”

“I know, but I want to bring them home from the hospital to our family house. Not this.” He laughs. “I know. I’m just excited. This is the first time I’ve ever found out I was going to be a father to twins.”

“I hope it’s the first time you’ve ever found out you were going to be a father at all.”

We’ve never discussed that before. “This is your first time to be a father, isn’t it?”

“I don’t have other children.” He reaches out and takes my hands. He pulls me close, pressing my back against his front. He overlaps his hands over my tummy. “Only these.”

I can’t help being relieved by his confirmation.

“I want my parents to know.”

I’d like them to know as well but I don’t want a repeat of what happened last time. “Can we have them over instead of going out?”

“We’ll do it however you’d like. The choice is yours, but do you feel up to cooking?”

I’m already anemic so I’m often tired, but the supplemental iron has helped. “I’m fine, Breck. I feel great. I’d love to have them over tonight if they’re free.”

“I’ll tell them to drop everything.”

“That’s not necessary. We can do it another night if they’re busy.”

“No. They’re getting two grandchildren instead of one. It’s wonderful news. They’ll want to know as soon as possible so let’s plan to have them over tonight.”

“I think we’ll have glazed salmon. Maybe parsnips and a green vegetable.”

“Can you have fish?”

I love the way he looks out for our safety. “Salmon is safe. It’s low in mercury. I’ve already checked.”

“Sounds good.”

He pulls me close and kisses the top of my head. I can predict what’s coming next. He has to leave. “I need to go in for a while.”

“I know.”

“I’ll call if dinner plans change.”

“Please do so earlier rather than later. We need groceries if I’m going to cook so I’ll need to make a run to the market.” I really don’t want to go to the trouble if they aren’t coming.

“Do you need Sterling to drive you?”

“I don’t think so. I won’t be picking up much—just enough for dinner.”

“You shouldn’t be doing any heavy lifting.”

“I don’t think fish fillets and parsnips qualify as heavy lifting.”

“I suppose not, but do call if you need a ride.”

“I’ll be fine. The walk will be good for me.”

“You’re used to pushing yourself but your body is changing. You’re going to need to learn how to rest. Promise me you’ll lie down if you get tired.”

He’ll get no argument from me. “Promise.”

“Are you going to call Ellison the second I’m out the door?”

He knows me well. “Of course.”

“Then I’ll be on my way. Tell her I said hello.”

As predicted, the door barely hits his ass before I’m on my phone making the call that will cause my sister to flip the fuck out. Then I may lose it because she’s going to insist on being here for all of it. That’s going to present a problem.

“Tell Aunt Elli how photogenic her beautiful little niece was today while having her picture taken.”

Yeah. My sister makes no bones about it. She wants a girl to spoil.

“I don’t know, Aunt Elli. I couldn’t tell much. All I could see was two little dots. But they were both pretty adorable to me.”

“Oh, Bleu!” she squeals. “Twins?”

“It is.”

“You must be so excited.”

The idea is beginning to soak in a little. “Yeah. We’re happy to be getting two since we weren’t sure we’d even be able to get one.”

“You’re going to need a lot of help with two babies.”

I know where she’s going with this. “Sin is going to be a wonderful father. I have no doubt he’ll help me as much as possible. Isobel will be a huge help too so you shouldn’t worry about us. And Sin says I can have a nanny if I want one. I won’t be alone.”

“I want to be there to help you.”

There’s nothing I want more. “I know. I wish you could be here too.”

“I’m going to find a way to be there with you.”

She isn’t going to let this go. “Ellison. You have a life and it’s not in Scotland. I don’t expect you to drop everything to come here.”

14. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 73

“Dad’s gone. You left. I’m alone.”

Damn. How do I handle this? I can’t act as though I don’t want her here. That will send up a flaming red flag. “It would be wonderful to have you with me when the babies come.”

“I’m going to be there.”

“I’m very early along. We have plenty of time to talk it over and work something out.” And figure out a way to keep her away.

My phone wakes me from my nap. It’s Debra. She doesn’t call unless she has news so I definitely want to take this call.

“What do you have for me?”

“Cameron Ewart came through for us.”

I bolt up. “Holy shit! Verbal confirmation or photograph?”

“Both.” There’s a second-long hesitation before she continues and my heart pounds out of my chest. This could be it. “Abram Breckenridge doesn’t have the scar you’re looking for.”

I’m flooded with an emotion I can’t label.

“This is good. We get to mark another suspect off the list.”

She’s right. Each suspect we eliminate brings us one step closer to finding the real killer.

“Absolutely. Let’s schedule a follow-up meeting soon.”

I end my call with Debra and note the time. Shit. It’s after three. I’ve been asleep for three hours. I sit on the edge of the couch giving myself a minute before getting up. Changing positions too quickly makes me dizzy.

I have four hours until my in-laws arrive for dinner. That means I have to get my ass into gear if I’m going to make it to the market and back in time to prepare dinner.

I do everyone at the market a favor and freshen up. Before leaving, I go to the kitchen to take inventory. I type into the grocery list app on my phone, grab my purse, and head for the front door. I open it, surprised to find three unfamiliar faces staring back at me.

“Hello, Mrs. Sinclair Breckenridge. I’m Broden. Mr. Grieve sent me.”

Oh fuck. Torrence Grieve is leader of The Order.

I unsuccessfully attempt to slam the door. The three men push their way into our flat. I back away and make an attempt to run to the bedroom. There’s a gun in the top drawer of both nightstands. His and hers.

I’m grabbed by my hair and yanked backward. One of the men roughly pushes me to the couch. The man who calls himself Broden gets in my face. “Mr. Grieve is extraordinarily upset with your husband for more than one reason.”

Sin killed Grieve’s son and led the raid that took The Order’s explosives. They’ve not yet retaliated for either. Until now.

Broden sits on my cocktail table and leans forward so we’re face to face. His breath is nasty. “You’re going to pass along a little message from us.” He takes a knife from his coat pocket and slashes my palm. “In your own blood.”

He puts his hand around mine, forming a cup. “Like this, dear. You’re going to dip your finger into the blood pooling in your hand. Using it, you’ll write the message I’m going to dictate on the wall. Are you ready?”

I nod. I have no choice but to cooperate. “Yes.”

“Good. This is what you’ll write. ‘You took something special from them and now they’re taking something special from you. Me.’ Then sign your name.”

Oh God. They’re planning to take me.

“Do it. Now!” he yells.

I dip my index finger into the blood in the palm of my hand and begin writing on the wall.

“When Sinclair married outside The Fellowship, I knew it was for love. That’s good for me. Do you know why, Mrs. Breckenridge?”

In this kind of life, it’s a general belief that love leaves you vulnerable. It’s the reason leaders tend to avoid it.

I know it’s what he’s thinking but I won’t admit it. “I don’t.”

“Love makes you weak. And desperate.”

Not true. Love makes a person stronger. “I don’t agree with that.”

“You will when I’m done with you—and your husband will as well. The things I’m going to do to you will bring him to his knees. He won’t be able to look at you without thinking of me when we’re finished.”

I can’t let them take me from the flat. If they move me to a second location, I’m as good as dead.

Sin has guns hidden all over the house. The closest is in the drawer of the end table. I have to get to it. My life, and the lives of our babies, depend on it.

I finish smearing the first half of the message on the wall before making a dash for the gun. I yank the drawer and find it empty.

“Really, Mrs. Breckenridge? Do you think we wouldn’t do a sweep of your flat and clear it of your husband’s weapons?”

I pull the drawer free and swing it around, clipping the closest man in the face. I make a dash for the front door. I open it and scream at the top of my lungs as I run out. “Fire! Fire! Fire!”

Screaming “fire” tends to gain the attention and assistance of people faster than yelling for help. But it gains no one’s attention. It’s three o’clock so everyone is still at work.

I’m shoved back into our flat and held by one of the men while Broden punches my face. I’m instantly dazed and fall backward onto the couch. “Get up and finish writing the message on the wall for your husband. Now!”

My eye socket stings and tingles. I trained in Muay enough to know the sensation is a sure sign it’s well on its way to swelling. He hit me hard. I’m guessing it’ll swell shut.

15. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 74

I write slowly as I consider my next move. I don’t have much of a choice now. I’m afraid and outnumbered by fists and firearms.

Reality is beginning to sink in. I’m going to be forced to go with them. And there’s nothing I can do. I’m pregnant. I can’t take the same chances I would have six weeks ago. I have to consider the safety of the babies.

“Very nice job, Mrs. Breckenridge.”

Broden takes my bloody palm and presses it to the wall before dragging it downward, leaving a large red smear in its path. I grit my teeth to fight the scream threatening to escape. It would bring them too much pleasure.

“Now you’re going to walk out that door with us and get into the car without a sound. One peep out of you and he puts a bullet in your head. Do you understand?”

I nod. “Yes.”

“I’m glad.” He reaches out and strokes the back of his fingers down my cheek. “You’re much too beautiful for that.”

I shrink away from his touch. He grabs my chin and holds my face so I’m forced to look at him. “If I want to touch you, I will do so and you won’t object. Don’t forget it.”

He leans forward and kisses my mouth hard. I press my lips together to keep his tongue out of my mouth. I’m successful but I still want to vomit.

He releases me and stares into my eyes. “There’ll be more of that later but it’s time to go now, dear.”

I’m led to a black sedan and forced into the back seat between Broden and the tall man while the short one drives. “Where are you taking me?”

“You want me to ruin the surprise by telling you?” He pats the top of my knee while laughing. “We can’t have that.”

I study the streets, trying to memorize our route but I become confused once we’re no longer within the city. I’m in a place I don’t know. The worst thing I can do at this point is panic. Yet it’s all I feel like doing.

Chapter Twenty

Sinclair Breckenridge

I ignored the legal matters in need of my attention so I could make Bleu’s appointment at the clinic. Being with her was worth every bit of catch-up I’ve had to deal with this evening, even if it’s causing me to run late for dinner. I’m certain my wife will forgive me. I have ways of convincing her.

I expect to find Bleu and my parents sitting around the table waiting for me but that’s not what I discover.

My father’s car is in front of my flat, exhaust billowing in the cold. That’s not right. Something is going on.

My parents step out of their car the same time as I do. “Why haven’t you gone into the house?”

“Bleu didn’t come tae the door when we rang. Maybe she had tae run back tae the market for something,” my mother says.

I don’t think she would’ve left so close to dinnertime without telling one of us. She wouldn’t have wanted my parents to arrive to an empty house.

She often listens to music while she cooks. I’m guessing that’s the case tonight. “She’s probably wearing earbuds. Did you try the door?”

“You’re out of your mind if you think I’m going into the home of a special agent and risk startling her.”

He’s right. No one should sneak in on Bleu Breckenridge unless they’re looking to get throat punched.

The door is unlocked. It shouldn’t be. Bleu knows better than that.

I’m instantly annoyed.

I enter the foyer and drop my briefcase onto the floor. I thumb through the mail lying on the table. “Bonny, you left the front door unlocked. You know you shouldn’t do that.” I look at my parents. “Damn woman thinks she’s invincible.”

Still no answer.

She left the door unlocked and can’t hear me calling out for her. That’s an unsafe mix. I’m irritated she’s been so careless. She knows we’re awaiting retaliation from The Order.

“She refuses to have guards in the house so I had the best security system known to man installed. What does she do? She forgets to turn it on when I leave.”

I stalk toward the kitchen and stop dead in my tracks when I see the bloody message smeared on the living room wall.

You took something special from them and now they’re taking something special from you. Me.

Bleu

My mum gasps. “Dear God. Is that written in blood?”

“I highly doubt they used their own.” Using my wife’s blood is a message within a message. They’re telling me they won’t hesitate to hurt my wife. Or kill her.

My mum turns away. “Sadistic animals. That’s what they are.”

The drawer from the end table is broken into pieces on the floor. Anyone can clearly recognize the signs of a struggle. I’m certain she was going for the gun and one of two things happened. She didn’t make it in time or they’d already been in the flat and cleared it of weapons.

My lass fought back. No surprise there, but I’m certain there were too many for her to take on.

I know in my heart that Bleu’s been taken by The Order but I still dash through the flat calling out her name. I come to a standstill in our bedroom when I don’t find her. It’s almost a relief. I wasn’t sure I wouldn’t discover her raped and/or murdered.

My father puts his hand on my shoulder. “She’s not here, son.”

Rage swells within me, seething to the surface. “If they’ve harmed her, they’ll die a slow, painful death. Each and every one of them. I swear this.”

16. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 75

I’m possessed. I don’t have a shred of control as I tear through our bedroom destroying anything within my reach.

“Sinclair!” I’m not sure how many times my father yells my name before I finally hear him. “Stop, son. Tearing your house apart isn’t going to bring your wife back.”

He doesn’t understand. “Mum has never been taken from you. And if she had been, you wouldn’t have felt what’s in my heart right now.”

My distress isn’t just for Bleu. “We were having you over tonight to tell you that Bleu is having twins. That makes her pregnancy high risk so stress won’t be good for her or the babies.”

There’s no time for happiness or celebration.

“I don’t want tae consider what they might do tae her if they know she’s carrying the future leaders of The Fellowship. We can’t waste a single minute. We have tae get her back as soon as possible—before something happens tae my grandchildren,” my mum says.

Dad nods in agreement. “We’ll get her back but we have to be smart about it.”

He’s right. “Debra has been keeping tabs on The Order. We need her here now.”

I’m impressed with how fast my freelance detective arrives when beckoned.

“This is what I know.” Debra takes out a map of Edinburgh and its surrounding suburbs. She points to an area near the water in Portobello. “They’ve recently acquired a warehouse in this area. For what, I’m not yet certain, but common sense would tell us they’re importing or exporting something. I think this should be the first place we look. It’s new. They’ll assume you don’t know about it so it’s a good location to hide Bleu.”

“What will we do if she’s not there?”

She points to an area in the Cockenzie area. “There’s another warehouse here. It would be second on my list.”

We were just there. “We invaded that location a few weeks ago and took a large supply of explosives.”

“Let’s hope this is about getting their explosives back. A trade. Her for what they want.”

Of course. Nothing is more precious to me than my wife and children. “Those bastards have me over a barrel. I’ll give them anything they want to get Bleu back safely.”

“Good. We’ll need to act quickly in case they get antsy and harm her.”

Members of The Order are notorious for raping and torturing women of rival organizations. It’s a tradition they’ve been doing for decades.

I can’t think about what they might do to her or I’ll be useless. I have to believe she’s safe and unharmed.

“I’d like to go in. Alone. Feel out the location before they make us. They don’t know me so I could fly under the radar. I can pose as a homeless woman looking for a warm bed for the night.”

Her plan is a good one. “How long will it take you to get into character?”

“Not long.”

“Then let’s go get my family.”

I’m back at the warehouse we invaded weeks ago, where we found the explosives and I lost three of my best men. I had no intention of entering this place again. Yet here I am, back in the hands of my enemy.

I’m going in alone. I’m the one who killed Grieve’s son. They targeted me when they took my wife so it’ll be me they’re expecting.

I open the door and see no one within. “Bleu?”

My voice echoes without any reply.

“Grieve?” I call his name, already knowing he isn’t here.

I walk the industrial-style metal building, taking a look around. I see no one but I find another message written in blood on the wall.

Return what you took to this place by 2200 and I might survive the night.

Bleu

God, I can’t believe they made her write that. She must be terrified but knowing Bleu, she’s probably pissed as well at this point. She isn’t going to like that she wasn’t able to stop them from taking her. I hope she doesn’t try anything irrational before I’m able to get her back.

I look at my watch and note the time. I have ninety-five minutes to transfer potentially unstable explosives across town. They’ve not given me much time but I figure that’s with a purpose. It’s a ploy to make me afraid for my wife. It’s working.

I dash out of the building toward the car where Sterling waits. “They want the explosives by ten. We have to hurry.”

I arrive at the secret site where the explosives are being stored. The two men who drove the truck the night we stole it are here to assist with the return.

“Evening, boss,” they say in unison.

I give them a nod. “The explosives are loaded and ready for transport?”

“Aye, just as you ordered,” one answers.

Perfect. “We’re returning everything to the same warehouse we took them from.”

“Boss, you should probably know that we were given orders by Abram. He says nothing should be moved without his permission.”

I’m immediately enraged. My uncle is no longer a leader. He has no right to give orders to my men. This is his way of taking advantage of his prior role. Further, he has no regard for my wife’s safety. He’d prefer seeing her dead than return the explosives to The Order. That means he’d choose death for my children.

Perhaps Bleu isn’t so far off target with her suspicion.

Sterling drives my dad and me to The Order’s warehouse while the truck of explosives follows close behind. My father is quiet so I have a moment to reflect on the night’s events.

17. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 76

“I didn’t protect my wife from The Order. I told her I would always keep her safe because it was my job. She put her trust in me and I let her down.”

“There’s no way you could have anticipated The Order coming for her.”

I knew Bleu was going to be targeted by a lot of people simply for being my wife. My love for her places a large mark on her back. I knew this. I should’ve had more protection in place for her. I’m completely disgusted by my lack of caution. “My actions—or absence of them—are inexcusable. She may not forgive me for allowing this to happen.”

“You didn’t allow anything to happen, Sinclair.”

I leave her alone so often. I should’ve known this would happen. “I’m a stupid husband and leader for not having guards at the house ensuring her safety when I was away.”

“You’re newlyweds. You wanted a normal life with your new wife. Constant security in your home would have negated that possibility. No one faults you for wanting some normalcy with Bleu.”

I already suspect she’s been cut deeply, enough to produce the amount of blood it would take to write both of the messages left for me. I don’t want to but my mind begins imagining the worst. “I don’t know what I’ll do if she’s been harmed.”

“Your wife is a trained agent. She’s smart and knows how to survive. There’s no doubt in my mind that Bleu knows how to deal with her captors, possibly in a deadly manner.”

“My lass is a warrior but she has the safety of the babies to consider. She can’t fight the same way she would if she weren’t pregnant.”

I fear the reaction of The Order if she fights back. They don’t hold women in the same regard as The Fellowship. They place little to no value on them. Women, in their eyes, are expendable.

My mum had it right when she called them sadistic animals.

“Despite their foolish behavior, they’re not completely ignorant. They want their explosives back. They know harming a Breckenridge could negate the exchange. I don’t think they’ll take that risk.”

“I’ll annihilate the entire lot if they’ve harmed her.”

“Don’t anticipate the worst. Think only of bringing Bleu home safely. Negative theories will distract you. You need a clear head so no mistakes are made.”

My father is right. I can’t afford to be sidetracked by what-ifs.

“Boss,” Sterling says. He lifts his chin, gesturing to the rearview mirror. “The truck is pulling off the road.”

What the hell?

I twist in my seat to get a look at what’s going on and see the flashing blue lights of two police cars. One behind the truck. The other following behind us.

“No. No. No! Not now. Anytime but right now.”

“What do you want me to do?” Sterling asks.

We can run but the truck can’t, not while carrying unstable explosives.

I look to Dad but I can already predict what he’ll say. “We don’t have a choice. We have to pull over to see what they want.”

“And hope to hell they don’t search the back of that truck.”

Sterling pulls to a stop on the side of the road. I look at the time and see we have ten minutes until the deadline. “We don’t have time for this.”

“Patience, Sinclair.”

I consider the reasons the authorities would have for blue lighting us. We weren’t breaking any traffic laws so I’m inclined to think this is a set-up. “I have a bad feeling about this.”

“That makes two of us.”

My heart sinks when Lloyd Buchanan, deputy chief constable of the Organized Crime Unit, comes to the driver’s window. This is no routine traffic stop. Judging by the amused look on his face, he knows he has something on us. “Good evening, Thane. Sinclair.”

“Good evening, Officer Buchanan,” my father says.

He steps away from the car with his hands of his hips, rocking on his heels. Grinning. “I hear congratulations are in order.”

He can’t possibly know about Bleu’s pregnancy. “You’re referring to my marriage?”

“Aye. I must admit I was taken aback to hear that you’d married outside The Fellowship.”

“You’ve seen how bonny my wife is. It should come as no surprise.”

“Aye, she’s a lovely lass but I’m wondering why you’d go against your brotherhood. You’re a tight bunch. I’m doubtful they welcomed your American bride with open arms.”

I don’t have time for this. “You didn’t pull our car over to discuss my marriage.”

“Aye. You’re right, but before we get to that, I’m curious. Why are you escorting a transport truck through Order territory this time of night?”

He has nothing on us. He’s curious. Good. “I was under the impression that Edinburgh was a free town. I suppose I failed to get the memo about sections of it belonging to anyone in particular. How does one do that—go about obtaining parts of a city?”

“Enough with the bullshit,” Buchanan says.

“Finally. Something we agree upon.”

“Then I’ll get on with it.”

Buchanan takes his gun from his holster and points it in my direction. “Sinclair Breckenridge. Step out of the car slowly with your hands on your head.”

A half dozen officers, firearms pointed at me, surround the car.

“What is this about?” my father asks.

18. novelonline

Tham gia:
    29/10/2015
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    The Next Sin
    The Next Sin Page 77

“I’m arresting your son for the murder of Malcolm Irvine.”

No. This can’t be happening now. Anytime but now.

I can’t be taken in. Bleu’s life is dependent upon me making this delivery.

I’m ready to grovel if need be. “I need two hours. It’s life and death. And then I’ll turn myself in for questioning.”

“Doesn’t work like that. I don’t get credit for your arrest if you turn yourself in.”

“Please. My wife has been taken. She’s in grave danger.”

“Sounds like a police matter to me.”

He knows I’d never do that. “I can’t come to the police. That’s not how these things work.”

“Aye. I know exactly how people from your world operate. Illegally. Always.”

“They’ll kill her if I don’t meet their demands.”

He shrugs. “Not my problem if it’s not reported to the authorities.”

“They’ll kill her if the police become involved.”

“Again, not my problem.”

“Bleu is pregnant with twins. If you can’t have mercy for me, can you at least have it for the two innocent lives she carries?”

“I’m afraid that’s just two more cockroaches for me to squash in the coming years.”

Buchanan is supposedly one of the good guys but he’s as evil as any Order member.

I’m desperate. To hell with the consequences of my actions. None of it matters if I don’t get to Bleu in time.

I reach for my gun.

My father puts his hand on my arm. “It will be the hardest thing you ever do but go with him, Sinclair. Rodrick will be there within the hour to clear up this mess. I’ll take care of our problem in the meantime.”

I don’t want my dad to take care of my mistake. It’s mine to fix.

I’m not ready to budge and he sees this. “You don’t need your wife coming home to an incarcerated husband because he made an irrational decision.”

Again, my father is right. I’m no good to Bleu if I’m in prison.

“All right, Buchanan. I’m getting out of the car.”

“Slowly. Hands on top of your head.”

“Aye. You’ve already said that.”

“Just want to be clear.”

I do just as the bastard says. It’s the hardest damn thing I’ve ever done, second only to watching Bleu walk out of my life.

I’m immediately swarmed by his mob of lawmen, shoved face down onto the ground, my gun taken from its holster. “I voluntarily surrendered Buchanan. Is this really necessary?”

I can’t see him because my face is forced into the dirt but I hear him and know he’s standing over me. “You’re under arrest for the murder of Malcolm Irvine. You do not have to say anything. However, it may harm your defense if you do not mention, when questioned, something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. But you know these things already, Mr. Solicitor. Congratulations on that, by the way. The world has been in need of another dirty lawyer.”

“Just as they’re in need of another dirty police officer.”

My hands are cuffed behind my back and I’m yanked to my feet. “You can pretend to be the good guy all you like, but we both know what hides behind that badge.”

My two men driving the truck are handcuffed and placed in the back of a squad car. Of course, they’re keeping the three of us separate.

I inwardly growl as I watch the officers swarm the truck. They have no idea how much they’re fucking up my trade for Bleu’s life. I’m not sure The Order will agree to any kind of exchange without the explosives.

My beloved is a captive. I’m in custody. I’m at the mercy of my father and The Order. I fucking hate it. And there’s nothing I can do about it.

To be continued …

19. CuongLaptop

CuongLaptop Bán Ô Tô mô hình

Tham gia:
    25/8/2016
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:
    Mẹ nó mà biên tập truyện song ngữ Anh - Việt thì quá tuyệt vời luôn. Mọi người sẽ học được khối thứ, topic này của mẹ nó sẽ sôi động hơn đấy.=]]

novelonline thích bài này.
  20. Buithinhinh1010

Buithinhinh1010 my brother

Tham gia:
    27/8/2016
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Điểm thành tích:

Chia sẻ trang này